When Oreos meet Rice Krispies magic happens. Okay so maybe that is a little dramatic, but I am happy to say deliciousness definitely does. This riff on a childhood classic is more delicious than you remembered it and with only 5-ingredients it isn't so hard to convince yourself to make them. The fact that this recipes makes half the 'usual' amount of Rice Krispie treats is also a bit of a blessing.
This is also a kid friendly treat that is easy for kids to make. My 5 year old can measure the ingredients out, melt the marshmallows (with supervision) and help get the mixture in the pan. The pressing in is the only persnickety part where an adult will need to do most of the work. I like to get a mini oreo snack cup for these, that way I am not 'forced' to eat the better part of a box of oreos 😉
A Small(er) batch of Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 cups rice krispies
- 1 cup oreo pieces
- 2 ¾ cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips for melting and drizzling optional
- Line a square 8*8 or 9*9 pan with parchment paper and grease lightly.
- Combine the rice krispies and oreo pieces in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat, add in the marshmallows and salt
- Turn down the heat and mix frequently until the mixture is smooth.
- Working quickly stir the marshmallow mix into the rice krispie mix
- Press into the pan. I find this easiest to do with lightly greased hands or a piece of greased parchment paper.
- Optional drizzle: If drizzling with chocolate then melt 2 tbsp of chocolate chips in the microwave. If you have a wilton icing bag you can use that to melt. Then use the icing bag to drizzle over the chocolate and refrigerate until it sets. If you don't have one handy then drizzle over with a spoon.
- Cut into squares and serve.