Bread Pudding has got to be one of those classic dishes that everyone has had at some point or the other - am I right? I recently saw a picture my niece (no agist comments please) had posted of a luscious divine bread pudding my cousin had made and mannnnnnn... you get the picture. But with birthday season (it's a thing in this house) upon us and Christmas fast approaching the indulgence factor had to be dialed down and so I whipped up with this Bread Pudding with Liquid Stevia that hit the spot without putting me into a food coma!
It comes together in minutes which is always a plus and since I use coconut sugar and Scintillating Cinnamon Flavorall to flavour it it will make for a guilt free breakfast for my little girl who was negotiating the number of pieces I actually "need" for pictures with me. Perhaps if they are extra good I will put a scoop of fro yo on top and call it dessert!
Now let's talk sweeteners shall we? As you all may now I am not the kind of person to scoff at desserts - far far from it in fact, just ask my former skinny jeans. What I have become more aware of - especially as a mom - is the sugar creep, the extra treat that becomes more frequent, the cereal that you caved on, the desserts you can't help but bake because it is cold outside.
If I am going to keep up with these shenanigans then I need to rebalance how I cook/bake and I really like the idea of using alternatives to white sugar when I can. Coconut sugar is one such substitute that I am fond of, but it does taste far less sweet than white or brown sugar. Having a bottle of cinnamon flavored flavorall on hand was a wonderful way to add cinnamon flavour to the dish and a good amount of sweetness as well. I used Greeniche brand liquid stevia for this recipe and was quite pleased with how it turned out! Since Greeniche Flavorall is made from Stevia and is plant based I can feel good about including it in my family's diet as well!
It doesn't hurt that the Bread Pudding with Liquid Stevia had my daughter and MILs stamp of approval as well!
Easy Bread Pudding with Liquid Stevia
- 6 slices whole wheat bread torn into big chunks
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar (can use brown)
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ - 2 cups milk (see note)
- ½ tsp Greeniche Flavorall in Scintillating Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
Quick Sugared Walnuts
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 2-3 tbsp coconut sugar
Fun topping ideas
- Fresh Fruit
- Lightly whipped cream
- Greek yogurt
- Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350, use a tbsp of the butter to generously grease a 9*9 dish.
- Place the torn bread chunks into the buttered dish.
- Melt the remaining butter and combine in a bowl with the eggs, sugar, Scintillating Cinnamon Flavorall, milk, and salt.
- Pour the mix over the pudding and bake for 30-40 minutes until the centre is firm to touch. Serve cut into squares with any of the fun topping ideas!
Quick Sugared Walnuts
- Dry Roast Walnuts in a clean frying pan until they smell toasty - this makes them less bitter too!
- Add 2 tbsp of coconut sugar and stir quickly - the coconut sugar will become deliciously sticky. If you think you need more add another tbsp, let cool and scatter over the pudding when ready to serve
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Greeniche a Canadian company that has several lines of natural health products. Although I am compensated for this post the recipe (and opinions) are my own!