Do you guys remember Eid Eats? It is a virtual potluck that is currently on it's 5th year, officially making it older than my second child lol. Co-hosted by Henna at Chai & Churros and Asiya at Chocolate & Chillies it is a link party that goes live towards the end of Ramadan. What can you expect to see there? A round up of delicious Eid appropriate recipes from bloggers around the world. Some seriously tasty inspiration there for your Eid party.
Henna, Asiya and I have a bit of a tradition going where every time we announce the details of this virtual party we cook something from each others blogs. Today I have made these adorable Mini Asparagus & Zucchini Quiche from Asiya's blog. She makes a regular sized quiche, but I have adapted the recipe to make 12 minis.
When we were growing up one of my closest friends mom would buy mini quiche from the club and put them in her freezer for when she had guests. Or forever hungry schoolgirls who would not take no for an answer. We would pop them into the oven and 8-10 minutes later they tasted bakery fresh. I love the idea so much so that after some generous sampling and sharing with family members I wrapped up 4 and put them in a ziploc bag to pull out for sehri/suhoor during ramadan. With a big glass of milk these Mini Asparagus & Zucchini Quiche would totally hit the spot. Their prettiness also makes them perfect for a any kind of get together, brunch etc.
Now back to Eid Eats. The party will take place in the form of a link up. Here's how to participate:
- Prepare a dish that you would normally make on Eid. This must be a NEW recipe. Write a blog post and post it between June 10, 2018 and June 17 2018. Be sure to include the hashtag #EidEats2018 in your post and when sharing on social media!
- Link your post to Flour & Spice, Chai & Churros and Chocolate & Chillies. Make sure to add the button above to your post.
- Between June 10 and June 17 drop your link onto one of our Eid Eats blog posts. Instructions will be in our posts!
- Be sure to visit and comment on the other blogs participating - we are all about good vibes!
Mini Asparagus & Zucchini Quiche
- 12 Mini Pastry Shells
- 2 eggs
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4-5 stalks asparagus
- ½ a zucchini
- 1 green chilli
- ⅓ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste (read notes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (I used monterey jack)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Dice the half zucchini into slim quarters
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and chop the rest into roughly 1 cm pieces, slightly smaller is fine
- Dice the green chilli, can use 2 if you want some heat
- Saute the garlic and onion in a skillet with olive oil on medium heat with ¼ tsp salt
- Add the asparagus, saute for 3-4 minutes
- Now add the zucchini and green chilli and cook for another 3 minutes or until the zucchini is slightly softened
- Put the mixture out in a plate to cool
- If you want an extra crispy crust put your mini shells into the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes. Let them cool to room temp before filling.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together and add the cooled veggies and cheese.
- Fill each shell almost to the top, the filling will puff a little when it bakes and then deflate when it cools.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the filling is set and the mini shells are golden brown at the edges.
- Let cool before removing from the cases. To remove simply hold the foil rim and push up a little from the middle.
PIN the image below for many good reasons 🙂