It's 5 Days to Christmas. The kids are excited and will probably be saints until Christmas morning.
In most worlds I would be in great spirits too, but as I mentioned last time I have been unwell. Christmas has somehow crept up on me as has the last week of school before the holidays. This last Sunday was a frenzied bake-a-thon as the girls started baking Christmas food gifts for their teachers. We usually give teachers a gift card and some kind of a sweet treat. My philosophy is pretty simple, there is zero effort in handing over a gift card, but if they make the effort to make something then they will hopefully be more mindful of the appreciation.
My little one is 4 and her go to is Brownies although this year she expanded her repertoire to include a Rice Krispie bark for a teacher with food intolerances. The big girl is fairly accomplished for her age, but loved the idea of a Mint Oreo Bark so she did that and Chocolate Caramel Crack(ers) for her teachers. Before any of you start envying me my precocious children please note that they don't do dishes or kitchen clean up. Also the older one abandoned the final step of the chocolate caramel cracker making in favor of sledding. To be fair to her, she did ask. Really politely even.
Anyway, I love these easy food gifts, the ones I can pick up ingredients from Shoppers because let me tell you the grocery store is really happening around Christmas. The last time I hauled my sick self there I ran into half a dozen people. Most of them opened with "oh my god, what happened to you?"Lesson learnt.
So yes for this Mint Oreo Bark I needed ... wait for it... Mint Oreos lol. And two bags of chocolate chips. I picked up some white chocolate for funsies since it pairs so well with mint and chocolate. However, if you don't have any, don't worry about it!
Major Bonus? It's FUN
The Mint Oreo Bark was so easy to make that it was easy to have fun making it. Mamas out there, I know you know what I mean. Some baking adventures can get a little stressful! Not this one! The big girl and I enjoyed putting it together and I suspect (based on her expression) that she didn't mind sampling it either 😉
Mint Oreo Bark
- 18-24 oz chocolate chips (1.5-2 bags)
- 6-8 mint oreos
- 1 oz white chocolate (not chips)
- Very lightly butter a parchment lined baking sheet, set aside
- Break the Oreos into large pieces by hand
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan on medium-low heat, watch carefully so they don't burn
- When the chocolate is melted pour it on to the baking tray and spread it out
- Scatter the Oreo pieces
- Melt the white chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave on low heat setting, watching carefully. When it softens mix to make it smooth and put into a ziploc or icing bag. Cut a small hole at the tip and drizzle over.
- Set in the fridge for a few minutes then break the bark into pieces. Enjoy!
- 16 oz is 1.5 bag which is what we used, but for sturdier bark you can use two. Please note though that if you incorporate milk chocolate chips then many of them have additives to help them hold their shape, but then they won't melt well!