It's sunny, it's beautiful, but there is a decided nip in the air. The kind of slight chill which makes you reach for that cozy blanket even in the day. At times like these what is a girl supposed to do, but crave cookies. And when a girl wants a cookie what is she supposed to do, but bake some. If she has been baking for the bulk of her 35 years then she probably knows what kind of cookie she craves. Something choclatey (because duh), but with a cheesecake-y depth and tenderness. Something like these Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies below. Is she the stuffing cookies with bits of cheesecake filling type? Nope. Clearly she is the speaking in third person for no damn reason type. Ok then, will stop now.
There is no question in my mind that I am an emotional eater. I am not sure what the mechanisms there are - is it because chocolate floods your brain with all those positive feel like love chemicals or is there more to it? Note to self: ask husband, he knows everything.
Whatever the reason I get a great deal of solace from a delicious cookie like this Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Cookie. As far as I am concerned that isn't so bad after all. There is this expression in urdu "chhoti chhoti khushiyan" which roughly means small joys. The idea (for me) is that the happiness in life is created by these small things. There is an adorable illustrated book with the same name by Ruqaiyya Adamjee and every time I read it it gives me the warm fuzzies. As do cookies.
So what is the triple in these Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies you may ask. Well there's cocoa powder, semi sweet chocolate chips and finally white chocolate chips that bring the chocolate game home while the cream cheese in the batter adds tenderness and flavour. It is markedly different than the other two chocolate chocolate cookies already on the blog. Whereas the Oatmeal one is undeniably an oat cookie, the Double Chocolate Cookies with Pistachios are a chocolate-y version of the classic chocolate chip cookies. Which one is my favourite? Why, I guess I should make them all at the same time and find out. Any excuse you guys, any excuse.
Triple Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick)
- 2 oz cream cheese at room temp
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Cream together the sugars, butter, cream cheese, egg, vanilla, coffee, and salt on medium to high speed until fluffy. 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in the cocoa powder till combined.
- Mix in the flour, cornstarch and baking soda until just combined then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for a few hours because it improves the flavor and stops the cookie from spread into abstract art shapes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and using two spoons or a cookie scoop form your cookies onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Leave an inch or so between cookies
- Bake for 8 minutes, the edges will be set, the centres less so, that's just fine.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.
As a quick note before I leave you to your baking, these cookies are one of the first things I photographed with my grown up camera & I think I had way too much fun being able to take "dark" photos. I also used up the last of a darker cocoa powder. Rest assured though that while your Triple Chocolate Cheesecake cookies will not look as dark as these they will still be damn delicious.