3tbspsoy sauce¼ cup if you are using jalapenos instead of hot sauce
2 ½tbspsambal oelek/sriracha OR use 2 garlic cloves + 1 jalapeno
juice and zest of a lime
a pinch of pepper
juice of half a lime
3cupsstore bought slaw
additional veggies: green onionscarrots, bell peppers, a little cilantro, chillies, etc
¼cupcoconut coconut milk
juice of a lime
• Blitz the marinade ingredients
• Pour over chicken pieces
• Let sit overnight or at least for a few hours.
• Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon, taking care to ensure that all the ‘extra’ marinade goes back in to the bowl with the rest of the chicken and marinade.
• Sear on each side i.e. cook for 2 minutes on high heat, flip over cook another 2 minutes and then cook on low till done. I usually cook my chicken in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. If you have a grill then grill for a few minutes on each side.
• Put all the cooked chicken aside, wipe the pan and then pour the marinade in.
• Whisk in the peanut butter and bring it to a boil cooking it for 1-2 minutes – this will kill all the bacteria from the raw chicken. Add the coconut milk, stir.
• Add in a squeeze of lime juice and adjust seasoning to taste. You can add more hot sauce if you want
For the slaw
• Whisk the coconut milk, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Add your slaw, and whatever veggies you have on hand. Toss with the coconut milk, lime juice. Taste, adjust seasoning.
• Pile your chicken onto the bottom part of the bun, generously drizzle with the coconut peanut sauce, and top with the slaw. If you have a hot sauce fiend in the house then you can always spread sambal oelek/sriracha on the top half of the bun. Serve with extra peanut coconut sauce on the side for dunking.
If you have a grill and want to serve this to a crowd while the chicken is hot then here is what you do. Drain the marinade from the chicken into a small pot and finish the sauce as directed, warm before serving. Set your chicken pieces aside for cooking later. Make the slaw and keep it in the fridge. Since slaw is hardy doing it a little before time is totally ok.Adapted from Ocean View Kitchen