1tbspground gingerminced is better if possible + a 1.5 inch piece cut into matchsticks for garnish
4-5 tomatoes finely diced
2-2.5tspred chilli powder
1tspgaram masala powder
green chillies 3-6 sliced lengthwise
handful of chopped cilantro
a squeeze of lemon juiceoptional
- Heat oil in a wok and add the nigella seeds
- When they start to splutter then add the minced/ground ginger and garlic
- Add the ground chicken and the spices and cook on high stirring frequently until the chicken is nicely browned (this is chicken though so it wont get dark like beef does)
- Add the tomatoes, mix well. For quicker cooking cover the dish for a few minutes, this will soften the tomatoes
- Uncover the dish and cook on high until the 'masala' becomes dry and the oil starts to rise. If this is not happening at all you may need to add more oil.
- Add the garam masala, stir, check for seasoning.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with the chillies, ginger, and cilantro. squeeze over a little lemon juice if using.
Tip: Minced ginger is much better in this dish than ground, but if you are using ground try to make your own. Store bought ones usually have a lot of vinegar in them! If mincing is too much work then simply grate the ginger!