I am not a potato snob. I have rarely meant an incarnation I didn't like and that basic Zeera Aloo Sabzi I grew up eating is my forever favourite. That said there is nothing quite like breaking a soft piece of poori and using it to scoop up these nashtay walay Poori Aloo. The color, the texture, but most of all the smell - it just gets me. I can eat these any time of the day but let's pretend we only reserve them for weekend brunch shall we?
Actually scratch that - I shall be honest and say I make these and the Chole that go so well with it during the week too. Just with chapati and not poori because you know - weekday. The base recipe for the two is very very similar - there are just a few minor differences. That makes it very easy to do both at the same time. They also cook in roughly the same amount of time - how perfect!
Ingredients in this Poori Aloo Recipe
- Garlic & Ginger
- Spices - Salt, Chili Flakes, Chili Powder, Turmeric, Coriander Powder, Cumin Seeds, Nigella Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Aniseed (Saunf)
- Achar Oil (or a few tablespoons of oil)
How to Make Them
Step One: Saute Onion
Step Two: Add ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds
Step Three: Add the spices then saute those for 30 seconds.
Step Four: Add potatoes and 3 cups of water, simmer till tender, 20-25 minutes
Step Five: Drizzle in a little achar oil (or just add in a tbsp or two of achar) and voila!
Other Ideas for my Aloo (Potato) Lovers
Made this recipe? Rate it by clicking the number of stars you want to give it below! Happy Cooking and don't forget to tag me in your recreations on Instagram @flourandspiceblog
Poori Aloo - Nashtay Walay Aloo
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ tsp crushed garlic (if using paste then use 1 tsp)
- ½ tsp grated ginger or ¾ tsp ginger paste
- 4 potatoes roughly chopped into ½ inch pieces (roughly 3.5 cups)
- 1-2 tbsp of Achar Oil or Achar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp chili flakes
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp turmeric / haldi
- ½ tsp dhania powder / coriander powder
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp kalonji/ nigella seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp saunf (lightly crushed)
- Saute the onion in a little oil on medium heat until the edges are lightly golden
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and saute for 30 seconds
- Now stir in the spices, saute for another 30 seconds
- Add the potatoes into the pot along with 3 cups of water and stir well.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil and simmer on low heat until tender.
- Mix well pressing gently to break up the potatoes a little, then stir in the achar/oil and adjust seasoning.