I first went to Disneyland when I was 9, then again when I was a college freshman. My junior year of college I went to Disney World. All three of those times, no matter who I went with, we all just walked in and did whatever we felt like. In another week or so we are off to Disneyworld. I booked Fastpasses for 3 rides for each day 20 something days ago. If I was staying on a Disney property I could have done it 180 days in advance. I have a Pinterest board, am in three Disney related Facebook groups, have a list of must do activities, a list of places that are good for meals and others for snacks. We also have a breakfast reservation for day two. Oh and the girls have a cute Disney countdown going.
I blame/credit the internet. It is now easy – and encouraged – to be prepared. It is also so fun, to be excited with people and for other people. To ooh and aah over cute coordinated tees – and let me tell you some people have made awesome family tees. I find myself wondering though if this pre-trip experience adds to the trip or detracts from it. For my kids and husband I hope the research makes things smoother. For myself I am not sure, but will find out soon enough. I do tend to do this thing before every trip where I stop looking at pictures of the place, of hotels, etc so that I let myself forget a little and can be extra excited when I get there.
Anyway, when I am not excitedly trip planning I spend my winter months making a lot of muffins. These sunshine-y Orange Muffins made with whole wheat pastry flour are a delicious snack or breakfast. Canadian friends will know that many stores are do not carry whole wheat pastry flour which is a tender version of whole wheat flour. Mine was from Bulk Barn where they sell it in the bins with the rest of the flours. You are welcome to make the muffins with all purpose flour instead. I used a few drops of Lorann orange oil for a little extra orange-y, flavor but you can use lemon extract, almond extract or any other complimentary flavor!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry or all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup melted butter or oil or combination of the two
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup milk
- Two oranges zested
- A few drops of orange oil or ¼ tsp almond extract or ¼ tsp lemon extract or ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tray with paper liners
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium-large bowl
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl.
- Combine the two deftly, do not over mix, batter should be just mixed. Small lumps are ok.
- Pour batter into cups and bake 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve with a dollop of marmalade for extra orangey goodness
A fellow orange lover? Try out this family favourite Orange Cake!