The generous part of me wants to make this creamy dreamy Best Basic No Bake Oreo Cheesecake and share it with loved ones. The rest of me just wants to sit on the couch at night and have at it with a fork. Know what I am saying?
With Eid right around the corner - or so I keep telling myself - it is time to start thinking about what to make for those Eid lunches, dinners, chais, and open houses. I vote for this Best Basic No Bake Oreo Cheesecake - and other things too - but more on those later. I really like how EASY it is to make and with it's chocolate cookie crust and light just sweet enough filling it is a crowd pleaser.
Dressing up this Cheesecake
Feeling a little decadent? Chop up candy bars, drizzle on all the sauces and you have a candy bar cheesecake. Want to pay homage to in season fruit? Adorn with slender slices of mango or just simple berries. Feel like adding a little pizzazz? Get a hold of an Eid cake topper from Honey Lemon Events, Hafsa Creates or Salwa Merchant and add it to your cheesecake. When desserts are this easy to make they are easier to have fun with!
Speaking of having fun cooking, my friend Izzah from Tea for Turmeric and I are psyched to share a little insight into what we have been working on. Want to see? Click here!
On Using Gelatin and Substitutes
Before I move on to the recipe let's have a quick chat about gelatin shall we? First of all if you do not want to use it at all then there is a subsitute called Whip It by Dr Oetker. They aren't sponsoring this post or anything, but my friend Vaish turned me onto this product and it's basically a stabilizer you add into whipped cream. It is available in Canadian grocery stores, and I am guessing in US ones too. If you are using gelatin then the process is simple: you sprinkle it over cold water, let it sit, add a splash of hot water to dissolve and strain it into your cheesecake batter.
As always if you make this creamy delicious dessert then do let me know what you think! You can rate the recipe below and tag me in your creations on instagram @flourandspiceblog
Best Basic No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
For the Crust
- 36 Oreos (two sleeves, don't separate the cookies)
- 5 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
For the Filling
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 blocks)
- ¾ cup sugar (used in two additions - ½ + ¼)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp gelatin + 2 tbsp water
For the Crust
- Crush the Oreos either manually (rolling pin to a ziploc bag with oreos in it) or in a food processor. Stir in the melted butter and salt.
- Press the crust into a buttered springform pan, pressing the crumbs in to build up the sides by about 2 inches. If you do not have a springform pan then use a 9 inch pie plate, but if it is not very deep then hold back on some of the crust.
- Pack it in well and refrigerate
For the Filling
- Sprinkle the gelatin onto a tbsp of cold water in the tiniest bowl you have and set aside.
- Whip the cream cheese on medium speed just until smooth
- Add HALF CUP of the sugar in and mix on medium speed till combined - the mixture should not look grainy
- Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Add a tbsp of hot water into your gelatin mix until it dissolves. Set aside.
- Now in a separate bowl - with clean whisks - whip the cream and remaining sugar until you get nice peaks, the cream will be thicker and hold its shape
- Fold the cream into the cheesecake mix until it's evenly distributed then strain in your gelatin mixture and whip it for 5 seconds just to disperse.
- Pour onto your crust and smooth the top.
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight until it's nice and cold!
Save this creamy dreamy dessert for later! PIN right here!