Do you ever feel irrationally protective of a dish? Like you want to make it and you want to eat it, but you aren't sure if it's 'cool enough' to share. That's Chicken and Cheese for me. My mother has been making it as long as I can remember, it was a standard feature at dinner parties when I was a child, sometimes bulked up with pasta, often times not. It has come back into rotation for me recently and every time I make these indulgent soul satisfying dish I want to curl up on my couch with a big plate of this (and salad because I am a responsible adult) and dig in. Ideally in my pajamas.
What's in the Chicken and Cheese Casserole?
So many good things folks, so many good things. It starts off with the ubiquitous white sauce, a roux based wonder. Then comes all the good stuff. Minced onion for body and zest, chillies for a kick, broth for rounding out the flavour, pulled chicken, sweet corn and diced potatoes. When that is all mixed in you go in with the cheese and call it heaven. I am pretty sure the way this dish was made was someone sitting around and saying "hmm what are my favourite things and how do I get them in one dish?"
Customizing Chicken and Cheese
I suspect many of you will wonder about customization. Absolutely do as you please! I have given a range for amounts for the chicken, corn and potatoes, but should you be adjusting with other ingredients then just adjust the total amount. For example if you like a hearty casserole then make sure whatever you use totals to about 4 cups which is what the chunky version has.
I have also in the past omitted the cheese crust (because I am out) and used a puff pastry sheet or a pie crust to top it. Both work well as do any breadcrumbs or even Ritz crackers crumbled up and lightly greased.
The Chicken and Cheese casserole is also an excellent dish to do ahead for a dinner party, just bake it half an hour before eating and watch everyone ooh and aah as you bring it in because melty golden cheese just has that effect on people. Quite understandable no?
Chicken and Cheese Casserole
- 4 tbsp butter (or 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp oil)
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 +1 cup milk (whole preferred, 2% works)
- ½ cup minced onions
- 2-4 minced green chilies
- 1 - 1 ½ cup cut up boiled potato (1 cm pieces)
- ¾-1 cup sweet corn
- 1-1 ½ cup shredded chicken or chicken pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock or half a boullion cube diluted in one cup water
- pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheese - cheddar or monterey jack
- Lightly grease a 10 cup dish and set it aside
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Melt the butter in a large pot or dutch oven on medium heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly until it starts looking a little darker and has an almost nutty aroma - 2 minutes
- Gradually add the three cups of milk, whisking constantly to ensure there are no lumps
- The sauce will start to thicken and bubble (stir frequently so it doesn't burn)
- Add in the onions, green chillies, nutmeg, pepper, and stock.
- Mix well and cook to thicken - another 3-5 minutes
- Fold in your chicken, potatoes and corn and take it off the heat
- Stir in 1.5 cup of the cheese and then if your sauce is too thick looking add a little of the reserved milk until you get the right consistency. It should be thick enough to easily scoop up with a piece of bread.
- SEASON! Because salt varies with stock and cheese wait till the end to season the dish. You want the dish to be a smidge more salty because the potatoes will suck up a little of the salt.
- Pour into your pan, scatter over the remaining cup of cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes, can broil for another 2 to get crispier cheese.
Hi what do you mean bu 3+ 1 c of milk? Is that an error?
Hi! I wrote 3 plus 1 because the first 3 cups go in at one go and then you keep the 1 cup back to adjust for your ideal consistency! Hope you try it and like it!
Oh ok! Great! Thanks
Sidra Emmad says
Hi i want to attempt this dish
Can you guide me how to cook the chicken? And which part of chicken to use?
Hi Sidra! I am so sorry I missed this, but if you boil one chicken breast with half an onion, whole pepper and some salt that works. If you have drumsticks then I'd boil 3. The quantity does not have to be super precise. This dish is fun because you can totally tweak it by taste and what's available!
How many does it serve ?
Hi Tahera - I'd say 6!
Farhin Khan says
Hii Sarah😃. I made this dish today and it was delicious and scrumptious. It was amazing 😃😃. Loved it. Thankyou so much for the recipe.👍❤
Sarah Mir says
thank you thank you!
Farhin Khan says
Hi Sarah🙂...Tried thr Casserole today, it turned out extremely delicious😁. Thankyou for the amazing recipe. ❤
Sarah Mir says
I am SO thrilled Farhin, thank you!
Hi Sarah! This dish looks so tempting, want to try it soon, can you suggest a good salad to accompany it.😀
Btw.. love your blog😍
Sarah Mir says
Hi Nazima! I honestly do as light a salad as possible, simple greens and a lemon olive oil dressing because the casserole is so rich! I unfortunately don't have arecipe written down for it