I don't enjoy making cutlets. Or croquettes. There I said it. Having a mother who is the undoubted queen of the deep freezer has made me quite good at them, but I just don't enjoy it. Until I discovered this super awesome hack for making them and now I find myself sitting here wondering what other croquettes I could make. These Garlicky Potato & Spinach Croquettes are another pantry creation (like these Coconut Macaroons) and one that I'd like to make again and again.
As far as I can recall I have never had this combination in a croquette, but I know I like both things so it seemed well worth a shot! My usual potato cutlets (and my favourite if I am being honest) are these Corn, Chili and Cheese ones. They bring back so many memories and I love them extra because they have a flavour combination that I don't see often.
Flavours & How to Customize!
The inspiration for these Garlicky Potato & Spinach Croquettes is actually a really good Aaloo Palak (Potato & Spinach Curry). They are spicy, garlicky, full of robust flavour and the more I think about it they'd benefit from a a good spoonful of Amchoor powder to accentuate that fulsome taste. If you are not a fan of garlic (we can still be friends) then reduce the garlic by a clove or two. One of the fun things about croquettes is that they are quite customizable.
That said before adding things in just remember that the taste here is spice from the chilli flakes and the sauteed garlic assertiveness. Once you have that flavour profile in your mind then customize away!
Watch this quick video to see the quick hack I used to make mine! Also apologies for the shaky camera work, my camera girl is only 6 🙂
Potato & Spinach Croquettes by FlourAndSpice on Jumprope.
Garlicky Spinach and Potato Croquettes
- piping bag or a ziploc bag
- 6 medium potatoes (boiled)
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Saute the minced onion in 2 tbsp of oil
- Add the garlic and then saute for another 30 seconds before adding the remaining spices
- Give it a quick stir then remove from the pan
- Wilt your chopped spinach in the same pan and set aside
- Mash your potatoes well with 1-2 tbsp butter (by preference)
- Mix in the spice mix and the spinach and taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Get a piping bag or a ziploc bag and cut a ¾-1 inch hole in the tip. Fill your bag with the potato mix and pipe out 3 inch croquettes trimming with kitchen scissors as you go along.
- Freeze for 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Whip your eggs (seasoning optional) with a splash of water and put your breadcrumbs out in a plate
- Roll each cutlet in egg wash and then breadcrumbs. Fry immediately for 2 minutes on each side till golden or freeze for another day.
Penny for your thoughts?