I almost called this post Instant Pot Tortilla Soup for Sick People, but then I thought of the jokes my siblings would make and resisted the urge. But guys, I have been so sick now for more than 10 days. That is kind of a record for me. The last time I felt crappy for more than 10 days I was pregnant and I am told that doesn't count. Sheesh.
Anyway, my sick self has basically been living on soup and daal. True story. In the last ten days I have made 2 kinds of soup, 2 batches of yakhni (desi style chicken stock), and at least 2 batches of daal. Fortunately I enjoy all those things. I usually make Tortilla Soup in a stock pot and let it cook for a while to let the spices meld. At this point I don't have that kind of time or patience. What I do have is an instant pot so I took some short cuts and made this Instant Pot Tortilla Soup. So without further ado - and partially because I don't have the mental capacity to construct another sentence - here is my Instant Pot Tortilla Soup. Hope you try it and like it!
Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- One Jalapeno (minced, deseeding optional)
- 6 cups Broth (I used chicken, but you can sub Veg)
- 1 19 oz Can of Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 398ml Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 cup Corn Kernels (canned or frozen)
- 1.5 tsp Cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne/Red Chilli Powder
- 1 ½ cup Shredded Chicken
- 2 Limes (Juice of)
- 2 Scallions, sliced (discard white part)
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
- Additional Limes
- Tortilla Strips (see note)
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Sour Cream (Optional)
- Put IP on Saute mode medium heat, add olive oil and saute onions and garlic for a minute.
- Add the broth, the veggies, the spices, beans and corn, give it a good stir.
- Put on Soup mode, Seal, and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Let Natural Release i.e. the pressure come down on it's own, about 15 minutes,
- Stir in half the scallions, half the cilantro, the chicken, the juice of 2 limes and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with the remaining scallions, cilantro and garnishes on the side.
Also, if you have any winning Instant Pot Soup recipes then PLEASE SHARE!!!