Growing up in Karachi with it's brutal summers we were always admonished not to eat nuts (as they are warming) in the summer months. Come winter that embargo would be lifted and my father knowing cashews are my favourite would buy several kilos of them. A little excessive? Probably, but you couldn't convince him of this if you tried. I always had cashews roasted and salted, not realising that there a world of flavour that could be added on! My brothers wife Renae introduced me to homemade spicy roasted cashews and I was a little in love. There may have been some sibling tussling over her spicy roasted cashews. My brother is stronger, but I had just had a baby so sympathy win you know!?
I made her recipe several times, but over the years I seem to have forgotten how! It was while trying to recreate those cashews that I mixed the honey and ginger together, absentmindedly tasted it, and stopped in my tracks. The honey and ginger alone was so freaking good. Of course, since I am desi, red chilli flakes made their way into the picture. A few spoons of sesame seeds and several batches later I was doing my happy dance. And eating these spicy roasted cashews of course.
They are simple to put together, just whisk a few ingredients, toss in the nuts and bake for 8 minutes. Put them in a cute jar and they make for a great hostess gift. They are also a great gift for your friendly neighbourhood food blogger who totally thinks it's cool if you gift her recipes made from her blog.
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Cashews w Ginger and Honey
- 2 cups roasted cashews
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2-3 tbsp honey (see notes)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- ½ - ¾ tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the cashews until you have a smooth sauce
- Toss in the cashews and mix to coat
- Spread out onto a baking sheet, bake 5 minutes move them around and bake another 2-3 minutes until they look caramelly and done
- Let cool entirely before eating!!! They will taste even better!
Looking for more food gift inspo? We love this Chocolate Caramel Crack!