I have scoffed at Chocolate Muffins for a long time because to me they have always sounded like cake for breakfast. Cake for breakfast, pfft. Actually my eldest brother does just that (eat cake for breakfast) every single day and I may have scoffed at that too. Then the other day I woke up and all I really wanted was a chocolate muffin. Something chocolatey, not too sweet, a one bowl affair that would take five minutes to put together. I waited a few hours and the craving did not pass so I wound up going through my scrawled recipe notes and voila. Usually I try to add yogurt or wheat germ or oat bran to amp up the nutritional content, but I was out of all the above so I made do with what I had.
Net result: delicious one bowl Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins (cake lol) for breakfast and the lesson that I should scoff less.
These Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins are made with whole wheat pastry flour. For those of you unfamiliar with it let's do a quick Flour 101 shall we?
All Purpose Flour or regular "maida" is a softer flour that is milled without wheat bran or germ. Whole Wheat Flour is milled from a different kind of wheat berry and has bran, germ and a heavier taste and texture. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or White Wheat Flour as it is sometimes called is milled from a different wheat berry which has a lighter and milder taste and texture. Both the bran and wheat germ are included in the milling process. Until recently Bulk Barn was the only major chain in Toronto where Whole Wheat Pastry Flour was available, but now you can buy it off amazon and in many grocery stores. I have used it in these Orange Whole Wheat Muffins, Brownies and now these muffins with great success.
While we are in a baking dork space (my favourite place to be) let me ask you a quick question: do you know what the difference is between a Muffin and a Cake? Well, in a nutshell a muffin is a quick bread where the dry ingredients get mixed together, the wet get just stirred in to combine and then you bake. As a result they are easy to whip up and even easier to eat! Cake recipes usually require whipping up butter and sugar and a few more steps.
Enough info for today? Ok, I shall let you go now, but do keep me posted on how these Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins turn out if you try them! And do remember to tag me on instagram, @flourandspiceblog
Quick Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup oil (any neutral flavour)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Put paper liners in your muffin cups or lightly grease your muffin tray
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium to large bowl
- Measure the oil and milk into a measuring cup, add the remaining wet ingredients to it and whisk well
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until well combined, small lumps are ok.
- Add the chocolate chips if using.
- Fill each muffin cup a little over ⅔ of the way full
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
Wanna save me for later? Click below!