There are things that mamas make. Like Magic. Things that miraculously appear for unannounced guests or that fussy tot who won't eat. A few years ago I was flying back from Karachi to Toronto with a toddler. Although she is a great traveller now let's just say 1.5 was a rocky age. I was so nervous about the flight and had armed myself with all sorts of things from small toys to snacks to stickers. Mamas you know the drill. I was too stressed to worry about more substantial food. Somewhere in the madness of packing and prepping I found myself in the kitchen where my mother had miraculously whipped up some sesame friend chicken. My toddler ate half of it immediately.
Now I don't usually like to fry food. Not because of the reasons you're probably thinking. More so because I don't like the icky tedium of dredging in flour then dredging in eggs and then breadcrumbs. Then five minutes later the product of your hard work has disappeared into thin air and you find yourself feeling slightly cheated somehow.
Why Sesame Fried Chicken is the Easiest
This Sesame Fried Chicken I get a huge kick out of because it is a one bowl affair. The chicken gets marinated in one bowl, a whisked egg is added in and then the dry ingredients. Pick pieces out with a fork and shallow fry and you've now got some mess free crunchy chicken. See - now when it finishes in a flash you won't mind in the very least.
This is a kid friendly recipe and one I'd be happy to put into wraps for them as well should I ever have leftovers. You can serve it to adults with your favourite chilli sauce - I do like a good sweet Thai Chilli Sauce with these. Also, as always, do doctor the mix to suit your tastes. Happy Cooking!
Made this recipe? Do rate it below by clicking on the star rating and tag me on Instagram @flourandspiceblog and make my day!
Sesame Fried Chicken
- 1.5 lb boneless chicken cut into small 1.5 inch strips
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger paste
- ¼ tsp garlic paste
- ⅓ cup cornstarch for super crispy or fill ⅓ cup halfway with flour and halfway with cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Mix the marinade up in a bowl, add the chicken pieces, stir to coat well and set aside for 20 minutes or longer
- Whisk an egg and add it into the bowl, mix well.
- Add remaining batter ingredients and mix, if the mixture becomes too sticky add a small splash of water
- Heat oil in a saucepan, at least one inch of oil is ideal
- When it starts to shimmer add the chicken pieces in one by one, making sure to shake any excess batter off into the bowl
- Fry two minutes on each side until golden brown
- Eat hot with your favourite condiment
Wanna save this for later (please say yes!) well then pin it right here!