I feel like when I share a recipe it's very important to describe what it tastes like. So now imagine this: a crunchy thin layered exterior, a cheesy filling bursting with the flavor of zesty spices, jalapenos, corn, and black beans. It's the kind of thing where you bite into one and there's this big flavour and texture explosion in your mouth. At that point you know just one of these Southwest Rolls is not going to cut it. Right?
So in case you are here looking for the egg rolls made famous by an American franchise, my Canadian self has to confess that she has not had them. These Southwest Rolls were just me bringing together flavours I love.
What Goes in Southwest Rolls?
- Spring Roll Wrappers
- Black Beans
- Shredded Chicken
- Red/Green Pepper
- Cream Cheese
How do you fold a spring roll?
This how I fold these - please don't overstuff! These will turn out so well with this amount of stuffing or even a little less!
Air Fry or Pan Fry
I did both. In the interest of testing. Honestly this is not one of those situations where you really feel the difference. Just a little spritz of oil is all you need to make these savory treats happen.
Tip: If you are going to Pan Fry then you absolutely need to use a flour and water mix to seal them which you don't need if you are air frying and put them in seam side down.
If you liked these Rolls check these recipes out!
Made these rolls? Rate the recipe by clicking the number of stars you want to give it right on the recipe card! As always I'd LOVE to see your recreations on Instagram so tag me @flourandspiceblog
- 10 Spring Roll Wrappers
- ¼ cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- ¼ cup red pepper finely chopped
- ¼ cup black beans
- ¼ cup shredded chicken
- 3 tbsp scallions sliced
- ½ jalapeno deseeded or 1 small thai chili seeds scraped out minced
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese (half a block)
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- olive oil for cooking and spraying/brushing on the rolls
- 3 tbsp flour + 2 tbsp water
- Sauté the jalapenos and peppers in a tbsp of oil, then add the black beans and corn followed by the spices and then the cream cheese
- Mix well to make sure the cream cheese melts and stir in the chicken
- Add milk to adjust consistency - mixture will be thick
- Stir in scallions and let it come to room temperature
- Once cooled then form spring rolls (see post)
- Use the flour/water paste to seal the edges if you aren't air frying
- Spray the rolls with oil and air fry at 390F for 4 minutes on each side