Looking for an easy flavorful marinade for your chicken drumsticks? These family favorite chicken legs with their crispy skin and juicy interior always hit the spot! For a different twist try out these Sumac Chicken drumsticks.
These chicken drumsticks sold me on the air fryer (linked here). Pair them with a quick salad and some sweet potato fries and you've got a meal everyone loves. While they're not traditionally Pakistani like this Chicken Ginger or Chicken Pulao they have enough flavour to keep us coming back for seconds... maybe more.
Five Things I LOVE About These Air Fryer Drumsticks
- they're SO EASY to make! marinate, air fry. the end.
- that SKIN. that glorious crispy flavorful skin
- The juicy interior - I love how the interior of the chicken is so juicy!
- NO DEEP FRYING!
- BOTH my girls like them. Now if you have kids you'll know that's no easy feat to accomplish.
- A dozen drumsticks - yes, a dozen, but feel free to halve/adjust as needed!
- Marinade - Soy Sauce, Ginger Paste/ Crushed Ginger, Garlic Paste/Crushed Garlic, Chili Flakes, Chili Powder, Dried Oregano, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt & Pepper
- Oil for spraying/brushing over the chickens
Frequently Asked Questions
Easily. The trick to crispy skin is using a marinade like this one with low water content. Anytime you introduce a water based ingredient like yoghurt to a marinade it has the effect of making the chicken skin soggy. Want to decrease that effect? Pat the drumsticks with paper towels and leave out on a wire rack to dry out. No need to do that with this recipe 🙂
The timing will vary by Air Fryer models, but it's around 22-25 minutes for my Ninja Dual Air Fryer.
Yes! Bake in a greased dish covered with foil for 50 minutes. If you pierce the thickest part of the chicken leg with a knife the juices should run clear. Broil for a minute or two on each side to crisp up the skin - always watch this part carefully to make sure it doesn't burn!
Yes, I often freeze these and then defrost, drain excess water and air fry!
Don't do it. It is faster and safer for you to defrost the chicken by placing the container/ziploc they were frozen in in a bowl of hot water. Then drain excess liquid and air fry away.
Some Other Fun Recipes to Try
Made these Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks? Rate them by clicking the number of stars you want to give it on the recipe below! Tag me in your recreations on Instagram @flourandspiceblog
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer
- 12 drumsticks
- 1.5 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Crushed Ginger
- 1.5 tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1.5 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Crushed/Minced Green Chilies (if you want it spicy)
- Oil for air frying
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl
- Score the chicken pieces with a sharp knife and cover the chicken with the marinade making sure to rub it well
- Marinade overnight or at least 6 hours
- Preheat your air fryer to 390F
- Place your chicken inside and cook for ten minutes undisturbed. Do make sure to leave space between the drumsticks. You will likely need to cook the drumsticks in batches
- Flip them over after ten minutes, spray with a little oil if they are looking dry, then cook them for another 10-15 minutes until the skin outside is bronze and the chicken is cooked through.