You know what's wonderful? When you have friends over for brunch and by the time they show up you are too exhausted from slaving away to do anything, but mindlessly chug coffee. Yeah...not so wonderful. Having been there a time or two before I now try to keep things as simple and delicious as possible. This Apple Puff Pastry Tart is my go to for those times, for when someone is coming over for tea, or for when I want to make something delicious with less than ten minutes of effort. It's also a great way to use the apples that are starting to look a little sad, but have not gone bad.
Note: I wrote that paragraph above many years ago and by now this tart has been my saviour at all kinds of events and the kind of non events that make life worth living. It's also a dish you can easily prettily put together with domestic goddess ease while you chat with your friends at the island. I am all about easy elegance!
Ideas for Upping your Puff Pastry Apple Tart Game
- Cut your puff pastry sheet into smaller rectangles and arrange the apples on each for individual tarts
- Drizzle with dulce de leche or caramel and scatter a little sea salt before serving
- A little vanilla ice cream is always welcome! top it with some toasted almonds and/or caramel sauce for more pizzazz
If you're an Apple fan and don't feel like rustling up some puff pastry then try this Apple Snack Cake. It is one of our all time favourites and a cinch to put together!
Step by Step: A Quick, Easy, & Delicious Apple Puff Pastry Tart
(Makes 9 squares)
1 thawed sheet of all butter puff pastry
2 firm sweet apples
1.5 - 2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
a sprinkling of cinnamon
toasted slivered almonds (or any nut you like) for topping
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice your apples nice and thin. Roll the puff pastry sheet out to extend it by another inch or so on each side if you want a slimmer base. Or not. Totally up to you. The standard sheet here is a 10*10.
Arrange your apple slices over the puff pastry sheet. I like to play around with designs. This rose like configuration is a favorite because it looks so pretty.
Scatter the brown sugar over top. Dot with butter and top with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the edges are nice and golden and there is some oozy sweet magic happening. Top with the toasted almonds.
Cut into squares and serve as is or with a little ice cream. JK you're just going to snack on it and eat the whole thing without realizing it 🙂 While you do don't forget to rate the recipe below!
Apple Puff Pastry Tart
- 1 thawed sheet of all butter puff pastry
- 2 firm sweet apples
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- a sprinkling of cinnamon
- toasted slivered almonds or any nut you like for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice your apples nice and thin.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out to extend it by another inch or so on each side if you want a slimmer base (Optional)
- Arrange your apple slices over the puff pastry sheet, reserve the smaller pieces for the centre.
- Scatter the brown sugar over top.
- Dot with butter and top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until the edges are nice and golden.
- Top with the toasted almonds.