Desi truth: We love white sauce. Not the milk/cream, butter, nutmeg and a sprinkling of cheese kind, but the fully loaded variety with things in it that would appal French grandmamas. These Chicken & White Sauce Squares are inspired by the memory of another impressive woman. When I was a teenager there was a lady who made part of her living going from house to house making these squares. They were built with samosa wrappers that would shatter ever so slightly when you bit into them and savoured the creamy deliciousness of the white sauce filling.
I remember how hot it was in the kitchen the night she came to my grandmothers house all those years ago. I would stay out of the kitchen, but pop my head in every now and then to see what was ready to eat. The interval between perfect Chicken& White Sauce squares was long as the sauce would often leak out the sides. A perfect one seemed like a magical triumph. In this incarnation I dramatically improve my odds of a perfect result by using the sturdier egg roll wrapper. What I give up in terms of delicate crunch I more than get back in the form of the flavorful chew of the egg roll wrapper. The best part? they are such a cinch to put together. A dollop in the center of the wrapper and some pretty basic folding and you are done.
Sounds good doesn’t it?
You can also use whatever veggies you have for the filling for these Chicken & White Sauce Squares. I used what was in my fridge. My only note of caution is if you use anything frozen make sure it is cooked and dry before you add it to the mix. Otherwise you will get a watery filling – ain’t nobody got time for that.
Owing to some technical difficulties I wasn’t able to get some posts out sooner, which is why I am also bringing these yummies to the Eid Party hosted by myself, My Ninja Naan and Chocolate and Chillies. Also check out my previous post to see what else is cooking from our blogger friends world over!
- 12-14 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup shredded chicken cooked
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 1/4 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots
- 2 minced green chillies
- a grating small pinch of nutmeg
- Oil for pan frying
- Additional flour and water to create a 'glue' for the wrappers
* Put a 8-inch saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter
* Add in the flour, stirring so that the butter coats the flour as it darkens and takes on a nutty aroma
* Slowly add the milk whisking briskly to combine
* Once the milk is in add the remaining ingredients and stir frequently till the sauce becomes nice and thick.
*Check for seasoning - you want to make sure it is well seasoned
* Mix a tbsp of flour with two of water and stir well
* Put out a piece of the egg roll wrapper and place a spoonful of the mixture in the middle, then fold two sides so that they overlap in the middle. Do the same to the other two sides, using the flour-water mix to 'glue' the ends to the middle.
* Once you are done then shallow fry them to golden brown crispness and serve hot.
* You can make these several hours ahead but not too far in advance since the filling will make the wrapper too soft to handle.
* I have also tried this with wonton wrappers and those work too if you put a teaspoon full in the middle, seal tightly into a triangle and handle gently when frying.