Box Patties are a popular tea time and Ramadan snack, with their crunchy exterior, savory creamy inside and that dose of fresh from the veggies. Bonus: They are freezer friendly too!
If you are looking for dishes to prep for Ramadan (or in general), look here!
Desi truth: We love white sauce. Not the milk/cream, butter, nutmeg and a sprinkling of cheese kind, but the fully loaded variety with things in it that would appall French grandmamas.
I have a few recipes featuring it here too!
What is the BEST wrapper for Box Patties?
Traditionally box patties are made with overlapping two samosa "pattis" or wrappers by creating a plus sign and folding it over. I have done these with the traditional samosa patti as well as egg roll wrappers and I personally like the flavorful chew of the egg roll wrapper more.(illustration for how to fold the egg roll wrapper at the bottom of the post).
For the curious, using one big spring roll wrapper does not work. The wrapper is thin so if one side has a single layer the box patties do not attain that delightful crunch.
What goes in the White Sauce filling?
Super simple my friends
- Mixed veggies
- Seasonings: salt and pepper, mustard powder
- Green chilies
What Veggies Can I Use for Box Patties?
You can also use whatever veggies you have for the filling for these Chicken & White Sauce Squares. I used what was in my fridge. My only note of caution is if you use anything frozen make sure it is cooked and dry before you add it to the mix. Otherwise you will get a watery filling - ain't nobody got time for that.
How to Freeze Box Patties
The best way to freeze the box patties is to line them up on a tray and flash freeze. Once they are frozen you can transfer them to a freezer safe box for upto three months. Defrost at room temperature before frying them again.
Made these Box Patties? Rate them below and tag me in your recreations on Instagram! Happy Cooking!
Box Patties with Chicken and White Sauce
- 24 samosa wrappers or 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup shredded chicken cooked
- ½ cup finely minced onion
- ¼ cup corn
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots
- 2 minced green chillies
- a grating small pinch of nutmeg
- Oil for pan frying
- Additional flour and water to create a 'glue' for the wrappers
- * Put a 8-inch saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter
- * Add in the flour, stirring so that the butter coats the flour as it darkens and takes on a nutty aroma
- * Slowly add the milk whisking briskly to combine
- * Once the milk is in add the remaining ingredients and stir frequently till the sauce becomes nice and thick.
- *Check for seasoning - you want to make sure it is well seasoned
- * Mix a tbsp of flour with two of water and stir well
- * Lay a strip of the samosa wrapper down, put a dab of flour water in the middle and place another strip on top (like a plus sign). Place a dollop of the chicken mix in the centre and fold over to shut, sealing with additional flour and water.
- * Once you are done then shallow fry them to golden brown crispness and serve hot.
- instructions for how to make them with egg roll wrappers below, however those are not as make ahead friendly!