Remember that Masala-licios Roast Turkey I had made a little while ago? Well, when I was planning that meal I was trying to think through what to make with it. Chutney - duh, Chawal (Rice) - duh, Parathas - definitely not optional. But it seems a crying shame to put a Turkey on the table without potatoes don't you think? I fantasized about slenderly sliced potatoes gently layered with notes of creamy richness. When I finished said fantasy I laughed at myself a little because there was basically no way that that was happening.
If I am putting together a big meal then the reality is I need my sides to be super simple and super delicious. No time for thinly slicing and roasting and what not. Also I am a practical person and I only have the one oven!
So instead I got myself a bag of baby potatoes, washed and scrubbed and ready to go. They get steamed in the instant pot, smashed slightly and tipped into a large wok with some chillies, butter and salt. With those four ingredients how can you go wrong? Especially when you add in the flavour you build as the potatoes get those gloriously crusty bits. I will freely admit that I have eaten quite a few of these Chilli Potatoes out of the wok more than once. Burning my mouth seemed like a small price to pay.
For these Smashed Chilli Potatoes I used store bought chilli paste, but you can just as easily grind up 3-6 green chillies depending on how much heat you like with a little water and use those instead. Finely mincing the chillies is cool too, but it does change the flavour. If you want them to be extra luxurious then feel free to add more butter, because as we all know butter makes everything better.
The last time I made the potatoes I served them with the Roast Turkey, but they would also be delicious with the Tandoori Roast Chicken (just omit the potatoes there), my Bhunna Gosht, or even Timatar Gosht. Frankly I kinda like them best straight from the wok, but...
Smashed Chilli Potatoes
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes (or equivalent of regular potatoes, cut into 2 inch chunks)
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tsp green chilli paste (see notes)
- Steam the potatoes in the instant pot for 7 minutes, manual/quick release. If you don't have an Instant Pot then parboil them till a fork goes through - not super soft.
- Press the potatoes down with the back of a fork to "crack" them just a little - those beautiful bits will get lots of flavour
- Heat the oil in a large wok, add the clove of garlic, stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter, tip in the potatoes as soon as it melts.
- Now put in 1 tsp of green chilli paste and a few pinches of salt and stir fry on high heat till most of the smashed edges are crispy and golden - 5 to 7 minutes
- Taste for seasoning and see if you want to add the remaining green chillies and butter. Serve hot. These reheat well on the wok too.