It's cold here now. Not very cold, but cold enough. Cold enough for me to want to drink more hot drinks, stay ensconced in my ginormous fluffy robe and bake and eat cake. Especially easy peasy cakes. I was hesitant about sharing my Walnut Crumb Cake recipe because it is such a far departure from usual crumb cakes. Those are lofty, with that beautiful pillowy crumb topping, a centimetre or more high. I love the idea of those. However, three bites into it I begin to wonder how it is that I manage to forget that it is the idea I like more than the actual too sweet dessert.
So this is my version, less prettier, but far more balanced with it's tender crumb, that lovely brown sugar walnut crunch, the kind of cake that would go so well with a cup of dark coffee or strong tea. I should admit though that the reason I finally have posted this recipe here is that when I shared on instagram my IG family was kind enough to try it out all over the world. It was immensely gratifying to see the pictures and shared responses with many asking for me to the post the printable version of this humble lovable cake.
Thank you to all those who try my recipes and tag me on instagram (@flourandspiceblog) - it always makes my day that the recipes here are a part of yours.
Walnut Crumb Cake
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans (chopped)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (room temp)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, grease a square cake dish - mine is 8**
- Cut the butter into small pieces and combine it with the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, crumbling the mix together with your fingers. Refrigerate till ready to use
- Stir together your flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together till creamy and fluffy - 3 to 4 minutes
- Add eggs one by one, mixing 30 seconds between each addition
- Now add in the vanilla, mix till combined
- With the mixer on low alternately add the dry ingredients and milk, mix until combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom and side of your bowl.
- Spread the batter into your prepared cake tin and then scatter the refrigerated crumb topping on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Can't wait to try it? Pin it so you don't lose the recipe!
Herra Khan says
Made this yesterday since it was snowing and wanted something warm! So yummy and really light. Meaning I won’t feel guilty when I eat for breakfast 😉
how absolutely perfect and lovely! thank you so much for sharing this with me!
Kulsum Khan says
What can I substitute vanilla extract with?🤔
Hmm I don't know that there is a clear substitute but if you want you can add half a tsp of ground cinnamon to the cake batter. It'll take away the egginess and give the cake a perfect for fall scent!
Just made this last night - absolutely perfect! My family devoured it 🙂 I will def be coming back to this many times! Thank youu
Just what I like to hear, thank you!
I’ve tried 3 of your dessert recipes so far, this the marble oil cake and cream cheese pound cake. They have all been a hit in my house!
Wow Mariam!!! I am SO SO glad to hear that - thank you for sharing!
This is such a comforting cake! I make this once every little while because I just can’t get enough!! Thank you for sharing 🙂
I am so so glad to hear that!!! Thanks for taking the time to share that!
Hi can I use white sugar for the cake batter? will it change the taste, I will use brown sugar for the topping.
Hi Asma! It will change the taste some for sure, a little sweeter and a little less moist but it should still be yummy!
Hina Rizwan says
Can I make this cake a day before the party
Sarah Mir says
Absolutely! just wrap it really well so it doesn't dry out
Hina Rizwan says
I made this cake today, it was so yummy everyone just loved it..
Made it today and absolutely loved it. You are my go to person when it comes to cakes! I have tried many and the recipes are always on spot
Forgot to rate the recipe 🙂
Sarah Mir says
Thank you so much maria for trying the cake, your comment and for rating the recipe!