Fall in a bowl. That is always how I think of this soup. Actually it's more like a fall weekday in a bowl given how easy it is. A little saute action, pop in your remaining veg and stock and let the Instant Pot do it's thing. When it's done the heavy lifting, you puree and stir in some coconut milk and voila! Your Instant Pot Carrot Soup is ready.
But then since we have a bit of a snazzy vibe we will add some chic garnishes and call ourselves fancy. Confession: I have had this many a night straight from a mug and felt pretty darn good about it. Also my meal prepping friends will appreciate that this soup is even better the next day.
Okay I said confession and friends and now I am feeling the overwhelming urge to confess something. The very first time I had a soup like this (a creamy carrot) one was several years ago as part of a soup exchange. My friend Vaish had made it and honestly had it been anyone else that made it I may not have even tried it. Pureed carrots to me meant baby food and clearly once I tried the soup I was forced to eat my words. Not the soup though - that we gulped down quite willingly!
Now onto the Ingredients for this Instant Pot Carrot Soup ok?
What goes in it?
All you need to make this soup are some easy to find ingredients
- an onion
- coconut milk
For the garnish you can jazz it up with whatever combination of the following you have handy
- chopped peanuts for crunch
- a little parley or cilantro for freshness
- a drizzle of olive oil
- a little lime zest
- fried julienned ginger (I first had this with a soup a friend made and folks it was a REVELATION)
How to Make Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup
Want More Soup Recipes?
Check out these three!
1.) Chicken and Rice Soup with Chilies
Instant Pot Carrot Soup with Ginger
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk
- soy sauce (optional)
Garnishes (pick your favourites!)
- chopped peanuts
- chopped cilantro
- drizzle of olive oil
- sliced scallions
- lime wedges for squeezing over
- Put the IP on Saute mode and saute the onions in butter and olive oil until softened.
- Add the ginger, cook for a minute then add turmeric, cayenne, salt, pepper and saute for 30 seconds
- Now add your chopped carrots to the pot and mix well
- Follow these with the can of coconut milk, stock and water. Stir
- Put the IP on manual for 8 minutes and quick release when done.
- Puree in a blender (cool first) or with an immersion blender straight in the pot
- Adjust thickness to your liking with water and then seasoning with a little soy sauce or salt and pepper.
- Garnish and serve
- Saute the onions, ginger and spices as above
- Then add the chopped carrots and saute stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes
- Add 2 cups water (instead of one), 1 can coconut milk and 1 cup vegetable broth and simmer convered until the carrots are tender, this can take from 15-20 minutes depending on how the carrots are chopped.
- Garnish as desired from the list above!
Radha S says
Absolutely loved this
Thank you very much Radha!
Amazing, i was searching for soups desperately and finding this one has made me so so happy, thankyou beautiful.
Thank you so so much Shehzeen!
This is such a great recipe. Would you be able to tell me if I made this in a stovetop pressure cooker, how long would I cook it for?
Hi Melissa! I am honestly not sure because it's been a while since I used mine but my guess would be the same time as in the recipe here (8 minutes) since they are both pressure cookers
Such an amazing recipe! Thanks for sharing Sarah 🙂
thank you for your comment!!! appreciate you taking the time!