Recently my tot and I went strawberry picking at Andrew’s Scenic Acres and brought home quite a haul of ripe red strawberries. They were the kind of ripe that you could eat that day, but would need to make something with the day after and while the kid wanted strawberry cake I thought it is time to branch out a wee bit. After a fair bit of googling I used this strawberry filling and this beloved tart crust and created a little piece of Strawberry Tart heaven. I am so excited about how this turned out that I am debating making it again tomorrow because I only have a quarter of it left right now. Yes, I have a problem.
The strawberry filling has been edited a little and I am writing out my version below. The crust is a no knead just press one (my favourite kind) that I simply adore because tricky pie crusts on hot summer days really are not my thing. I had made the filling a day and crust a day before and so today I just put it all together and I do not know what I enjoyed more – the bubbly strawberry aroma that wafted through my kitchen or the incredible sweet yet tart taste of the filling enveloped in its buttery crust. Actually who am I kidding – clearly eating it is the best part!
Note and an Update:
this Strawberry Tart with a No Roll Crust recipe was originally published when my older one was a tot and is on it's 5th year in regular rotation. I now have two girls and our strawberry picking tradition is going strong, as is using juicy strawberries to make this simple pie. One of my girls has even made it as part of teachers end year gifts, the end result looked so nice that her teachers had a hard time believing that she made it almost entirely by herself. Yes folks, it is that easy.
Made it? Share it!!! You can find me right here (comment and rate below!) or on Instagram @flourandspiceblog
Strawberry Tart with No Roll Crust
- 9 tbsp butter (room temp)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp lemon extract (can use vanilla in place of these)
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- ¾ cup strawberries (use your softer ones here)
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp water
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ½ -3 cups sliced strawberries
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add egg, egg yolk and extracts, mix to combine
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet just until the mixture comes together
- Shape ⅔ of the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap
- Shape the remaining dough into a log, wrap in plastic wrap
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Remove the dough disc from the fridge, let it sit for 15 minutes then use the heel of your palm to flatten it and spread into a unbuttered tart pan, you can also break pieces and press down if that is easier
- Once the dough is evenly spread then add the filling
- Remove the dough log from the fridge, slice into slim rounds and arrange over the filling.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake until the pastry is golden brown, i.e. for 20-25 minutes.
Strawberry Pie Filling
- Mash the ¾ cup strawberries, add into a small saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes
- Strain into a measuring cup and discard the pulp. Add just enough water to bring the liquid to ¾ cup
- Now add the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, zest and salt into the saucepan along with the strained juice, bring to a boil, stirring constantly
- Cook till the mixture is thick and clear looking, 3 to 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat, cool a little then add sliced strawberries, let mix cool to room temperature before adding to the crust
You know you want to make this (I always do! lol) PIN this beauty below!