Before we get to the Sumac Chicken Recipe, can I get a little high five action if you have an Air Fryer and are as obsessed as I am? Okay mental high five is fine, no need to smack your screen.
Anyway back to the Air Fryer, I've had mine for over a year and the obsession is still STRONG. One of my favourite things to do in is to make easy dinners like this Sumac Chicken. After all the Instagram love my original Air Fryer Drumsticks got I knew this one had to be shared as well.
What is Sumac?
Would you believe me if I told you it's essentially a powdered berry? True story.
While not overwhelmingly strong there is something so interesting about the tart robust taste of this spice.
Musakhan: The Inspiration for this Sumac Chicken Recipe
In the last two years when we were all sitting at home it seemed that our world grew in some ways just as much as it contracted thanks in no small part to social media. My interest in Middle Eastern food, a constant since my Saudi days, grew and I found myself exploring dishes beyond Shawarma and Shish Taouk.
One of the specific cuisines I find myself increasingly drawn to is Palestinian. My love for it started with these Cauliflower Fritters and has grown since
I love the emphasis on fresh produce, the deft combination of familiar to me spices that transforms, the comfort of it all. Musakhan is a Palestinian dish that consists of caramelized onions and sumac spiced chicken. Scattered over with parsely or pine nuts, it then sits on a bed of pita which absorbs all those delicious flavours.
This weeknight friendly dish, one beloved my children, is my tribute to that beautiful complex dish and it's people.
What goes in and with these Sumac Chicken Drumsticks?
Love, my friends, love. Okay my corniness aside the ingredients are as follows
- Spices: Allspice, cumin powder, cinnamon, sumac, salt, and pepper
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
This is simply a mix, marinade and air fryer situation. I like to serve it with the rice from my Halal Cart Style Chicken and Rice and a Fattoush Salad.
A little pita underneath the chicken doesn't hurt either. Neither do a few charred chilies, but let's move on shall we?
Sumac Chicken Recipe - Air Fryer
- an Air Fryer (see recipe notes for baking instructions)
- 8 Skin on Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Allspice (can sub with ¾ tsp garam masala)
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Sumac (+ extra for sprinkling)
- 1 ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 6 cloves Crushed Garlic
- Mix all the marinade ingredients (from olive oil to garlic) in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut diagonal slits into your drumsticks and then rub them with the marinade.
- Leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 4 hours, overnight is always best. Tip: If you are in a rush then increase the cumin powder, sumac, and garlic for stronger flavour.
- Take the chicken out from the fridge half an hour before cooking.
- Preheat your air fryer on the Air Fryer mode (390F), wait a few minutes then pop in your chicken air frying it for 20-25 minutes until the skin takes on that succulent crispy hue.
- While I always air fry these friends have baked it at 350F for 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered. If you insert a knife in the meatiest part then it should go through easily and the juices in the drumsticks should run clear
This was really great thank you!
Sarah Mir says
Amazing!I am so glad to hear that!
Assalmu Alikum Sarah! JazakAllah khair for posting a chicken drumsticks recipe. My daughter is obsessed with them so I like to change the seasonings up lol! Looking forward to testing them this week! I also love Mediterranean food specifically Palestinian food! Thanks again!
Sarah Mir says
Sidra! I am SO happy to hear that - I get how it is when kids enjoy something and I am glad the drumsticks worked!