As it warms up we are out and about a lot more and I like to have snacks on hand that don’t have an unpronounceable list of ingredients. My last granola bar attempt was a total disaster and I ended up with a sickly sweet mess. Now thanks to Ninja Naan I have a recipe that works! This recipe for a Crunchy Nut Free Granola Bar has few ingredients and is so quick to make. The coconut flavour is subtle- it basically adds a wholesome chewiness to an otherwise crunchy bar. If you want to amp it up then use coconut extract instead of the vanilla. I halved the original recipe to make them in a 9*9 ot a 8*8 pan. Not sure why I keep doing that since I have made it twice in the last week!
The ingredients are so simple and usually something I have in the pantry. If you want to switch out a portion of the oatmeal for wheat germ for an extra boost of fibre you absolutely can. A few chopped nuts would probably also be delicious, but I keep these nut free so the kids can take them to school as well. Other healthier twists are always welcome, but I can't say I have tried them. As always I'd love to hear about it if you do!
How to get the crunch in Crunchy Nut Free Granola Bars
For that crunch factor remember to properly pack down the granola before baking. This prevents the bars from disintegrating when cutting. Sometimes I place a piece of parchment over the bars and press down over it with the bottom of a jar or a can. If you get to the scoring stage (after they're baked) and still feel like they are a little crumbly then no worries. All you need to do is gently press down on these Crunchy Nut Free Granola bars and thanks to the magic of melty chocolate you are good to go.
This is the point where I am supposed to tell you how long these Crunchy Nut Free Granola Bars keep for and I honestly can't say much beyond two days. My small batches don't survive for much longer than that!
Crunchy Nut Free Granola Bars
- 1 ¼ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up
- Combine the dry ingredients (the first six) in a bowl
- Measure melted coconut oil into a measuring cup and add the honey and vanilla to it
- Pour the wet mix into the dry, mixing thoroughly.
- Spread in the pan and press down firmly and evenly
- Bake for 15-16 minutes until the bars are a deep golden brown
- Take them out of the oven and use a knife to score them (gently cut) into bars while they're in the pan
- Let cool entirely - 30 to 40 minutes and then remove from the pan, cut the whole way through and store in an airtight container.
Want to make your kids day? Try these Oreo Rice Krispie Treats that they are going to LOVE!
Save this recipe by pinning it below!